In celebration of the new iPad, you can score some noteworthy titles–including the Retina-optimized Modern Combat 3: Fallen Nation–for just a buck. iPhone versions, too.
Did you head out to Wal-Mart last night to score a new iPad at midnight? Now’s the perfect time to stock up on some games to show off that drool-worthy Retina Display.
For a limited time, Gameloft is offering some noteworthy iPad games (along with one for Mac) for 99 cents. Regardless of which iPad model you own, these dozen titles should keep you gaming happily for weeks, if not months. (The iPhone versions are on sale as well.)
(Caveat: As Jason Parker pointed out a few days ago, not many apps are optimized for the new iPad’s screen–yet. Thus, while these titles will no doubt look great, don’t expect the full Retina experience. Here are 20 apps that will be ready for the new iPad.)
Here’s a rundown of the games on sale (in no particular order), along with some notes and links where applicable:
- Silent Ops
- BackStab I originally described this as “Assassin’s Creed goes Caribbean,” a fun (but violent) open-world game of pirates and swordfighting. The only bummer: Gameloft has yet to work out the bugs.
- Fast Five the Movie: Official Game
- Sacred Odyssey – Rise of Ayden
- Starfront: Collision
- Spider-Man: Total Mayhem An underrated gem. Between the exhilarating web-slinging and -swinging and the console-quality combat, this is one action game not to be missed.
- Splinter Cell Conviction
- Iron Man 2 Fairly similar to Spider-Man, but with flying instead of swinging. Way more fun than the movie.
- Assassin’s Creed – Altair’s Chronicles
- Warplanes: A History of Aerial Combat Videos, rotating 3D models, an interactive timeline–let’s see a coffee-table book do that! This is a must-have reference for air-combat aficionados.
- The Adventures of Tintin – The Game I was blown away by the movie’s animation–but the movie itself left me cold. The game, however, offers terrific action and adventure, and it’s quite the looker itself.
- Modern Combat 3: Fallen Nation Originally $6.99, this shooter is widely regarded as one of the best ever to grace iOS. At 99 cents, it’s a steal. It’s also among the few games that’ll be Retina-optimized.
- And here’s a bonus for Mac users: Modern Combat: Domination is also 99 cents (originally $12.99).
So, which game(s) do you think you’ll scoop up?